The deadline for the University of Wisconsin-Madison is November 21, 2022.
The foundation’s deadline is January 27, 2023. (5:00 p.m. CT)
*Candidates must be nominated by the University of Wisconsin-Madison and may not apply directly. For more information on the application process, students should contact the Undergraduate Academic Awards Office. 608-265-2428 or [email protected]
About GOLDWATER SCHOLARSHIP 2022
The scholarships, which were established by Congress in 1986 to honor Senator Barry Goldwater’s career, recognize promising undergraduates who plan to pursue a PhD or MD/PhD followed by a research career in engineering, mathematics, or the natural sciences. Each year, up to 450 scholarships are given out.
AWARD for GOLDWATER SCHOLARSHIP
The scholarships provide $7,500 per year for junior and/or senior year undergraduate expenses, including tuition, required books, and living expenses. Junior level recipients may receive up to two years of assistance. Senior level recipients will be supported for a maximum of one year.
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR GOLDWATER SCHOLARSHIP
- During the academic year of application, you must be a full-time sophomore or junior (defined as two years or one year of undergraduate study remaining after application year)
- Planning to pursue a PhD and a career in mathematics, natural sciences, or engineering research (an MD alone does not qualify, but an MD/PhD does)
- Outstanding undergraduate academic record (GPA greater than 3.8)
- Undergraduate research participant U.S. citizen, national, or permanent resident
SELECTION CRITERIA FOR GOLDWATER SCHOLARSHIP
- Academic excellence (grades, level of courses, awards, scholarships)
- Progress toward research objectives (research activities, career goals, course work)
- Technical content, bibliography, organization/grammar, research essay
- Recommendation letters (commitment to research, intellectual curiosity, potential for research contributions)
The four evaluation criteria are given equal weight.